Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mille Fleurs

BREED PROFILE: Belgian d'uccle. VARIETY: Mille Fleur. The Belgian d'uccle is a true bantam meaning there is no standard-sized form. They are good foragers. Cockerels are less aggressive then other bantams. Went into the APA standard of perfection in 1914. The Mille Fleur was first bred by Michel Van Gelder in the town of Uccle near Brussels Belgium sometime between 1890 and 1900 and was created using the Belgian d'Anver and the Dutch booted bantam, this is why the U.S. club is named Belgian d'uccle and booted bantam club.



This was my pair of Mille Fleur d'uccle bantams who were the parents of the chick below, notice the dogs in the background who broke in the pen much longer after I got them.





This was Sun Glow my 4 month old Mille Fleur d'uccle chick.







This is Cookie dough my 4 month old Mille Fleur d'uccle.









This is Sun Beam my 4 month old Mille Fleur cockerel, notice the color difference between Sun Glow and Sun Beam at 4 months old and that Sun Beam has more speckles and Sun Glow has more color. The Mille Fleur is my overall favorite bantam and I hope to have a lot of fun breeding them and taking them to the fair this year.











1 comment: