Saturday, August 16, 2014
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
After the chickens are plucked and gutted they are rinsed in very cold water until clean . Here is my younger brother & sister (above) , and below my younger brother is shown with another one of my sisters . He learned how to help us prepare the chickens I raised for our family for the freezer and our chicken dinners in the coming months.
After the chickens are rinsed well we put them into freezer bags ...
Granny Baa note : I love seeing and knowing my grandchildren are able to raise poultry, beef and turkeys for their family food supply. Bugs and one of his sisters also hunt and have provided enough food to fill the freezer. It is also good to know they realize our meat and poultry do not magically appear in the supermarket but are the result of raising live animals who need to be treated humanely throughout the entire process, and NEVER to be taken for granted. These grandchildren also help in the vegetable garden, pick the abundant fruit growing around their home and bake pies . Really yummy pies !
Thursday, June 19, 2014
Friday, May 30, 2014
Black Mottled D'Uccle * breeding project, she is the parent of the blue chick above. I knew she carried the dilute gene but it shouldn't have shown till another generation. This left me thinking maybe the dilute genetics in her were very strong and it wasn't until later I solved the mystery.
To read how the Porcelain to Mille genetics work see my post D'Uccle Color Genetics *. I will update how the chicks are coming along soon along with some photos of their family tree. By Bugs .
Friday, March 14, 2014
Ella on her nest. Since Ella is a first time mama I want to make sure she can incubate and raise her young. Sebastopol geese are not too common and they are expensive , so I gave 6 of Ella's eggs to friends to incubate in their incubator , replacing her eggs with fertile duck eggs . She is sitting on 9 duck eggs. Duck eggs have the same incubation time and requirements as goose eggs. Plus, if she successfully hatches them, they will thrive with her as a mama. If she does well I'll let her tend her own eggs next spring.
Fella guarding Ella. Geese can be scary as they run at a person with their wings spread wide, hissing and biting, but Fella does not do that to me. I think he still loves me and knows I'll not hurt him or Ella, but he's not so nice to our dogs and the ducks ! Good for him.
Sunday, February 16, 2014
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Best of all fresh from the chicken eggs !
2014 Goals for my poultry :
- Buy more white Orpingtons & Americaunas for laying flock
- train geese & ducks to live and graze near the pond which will be a better home and environment for them ( in other words, they aren't to live in the backyard anymore )
- Prepare the new Silkie Shack for my Silkies and breeding program.
- Begin culling doves for the whitest , hoping to breed out the ghost of a ring around their necks I find in a few doves.
- Nurture assorted bantam hens , make new nest boxes for them to incubate & brood chicks.
- Buy new Bantam White Cochin chicks, some frizzled.
- Learn more about the Porcelains I have ( thanks Bugs ) and begin preparing them for show.
- Look into local poultry shows and begin preparations.
- Enjoy my chickens fully !!!!!!!!