Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How to Tell Different Colored d'uccles Apart

 Above is a Porcelain chick. It is a pale blue and cream color. Note~ all pure- bred d'uccle chicks have a beard feathered legs and a single comb.
 Above is my porcelain rooster  Platinum ,who is the father of the chick above. This is an example of what a Porcelain will grow to look like.
 Here are two Mille Fleur d'uccles chicks. They are orange and black or orange and gray. Note the beard feathered  legs and single comb.
 Here is my Mille Fleur rooster, Crimson. He is the father of the chicks above. He is a good example of an adult Mille Fleur.
 Above is a Black Mottled d'uccle chick. They can be the color above or solid black with a little white .
 Here is my Black- Mottled hen, the mother of the chick above. Black- Mottled adults are solid black with white dots. You can read more about the color in another post I did called Black- Mottleds, a challenging color.
 Here are a pair of white d'uccles that I used to have. The chicks are a white or pale yellow. I've found that by one month old you can sex d'uccle chicks and pretty much get guaranteed results. Roosters have a taller bright red comb and taller tails, hens have short pale orange or pink combs. If you would like to sex them earlier you should get  the book 'Sexing All Fowl' from the library or a  hatchery. So far I've had 100% success  from the sexing methods , as far as
I know My pet chicken is the only hatchery that sells sexed bantams so its a good skill to have .
Above are a Golden Neck and Self -Blue d'uccle .As chicks these colors can get mixed up with Mille Fleur's and Porcelains. Golden-Necks  are solid orange as chicks and self- blues are solid light blue.
 Above is a diagram of 6 of the 10 standard colors , colors not shown here are Porcelain, Gray , Buff, and Blue, Self blue pullet below. by Bugs.

8 comments:

  1. Oh~ I love them all but the black mottled chick made me *squeeeal*~ it is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All very pretty and well explained. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a pair of the black mottled, but the rooster flew over the fence, and the neighbors dog killed him. Where can I buy more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a pair of the black mottled, but the rooster flew over the fence, and the neighbors dog killed him. Where can I buy more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where'd you purchase your d'uccles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful chick's and chickens... one of my favorite breeds

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Self Blue chick in the “6 of 10 Standards” photo, was that a pullet? My month old baby has a light peach/pink comb area like the photo, a tiny spike in it that’s resting horizontally in relation to the face, and a pretty well developed tail.

    ReplyDelete