Friday, March 6, 2015

New Chicks! of 2015

 Two weeks ago we went to Oregon for a poultry swap to sell the extra doves and chickens we had, on the way back we picked up four Silver Quail d'Anvers that were about 4 weeks old. D'Anvers are one of the breeds used to create the d'Uccle. These chicks will be used to breed a Silver Mille Fleur d'Uccle, which is a rare color in the U.S and since d'Anvers are closely related to the d'Uccles I won't lose a lot of type when I cross the two colors. Above is a Silver Quail rooster. 
 This is one of my Silver Quail d'Anver hens.
 This is the Silver Mille Fleur color I will be trying to breed using the Silver Quail d'Anvers . Photo from www.Feathersite.com
 This is one of the new chicks hatched this week from the Self Blue Mottled rooster and Porcelain hen, this chick is a Self Blue Mottled.
This is a Porcelain chick hatched from my Porcelain rooster and 3/4 Mille Fleur 1/4 Porcelain hen.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy seeing the works of what you are doing. I had helped every year with my parents when they bought chicks. Kept them in the house in the utility room to keep them warm. It was so much fun. Your silver quail is an interesting breed.

    ReplyDelete